Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Random Cornucopia of Thanksgiving Joy

For the record:
  • A couple weeks ago, Brian and I really did workout to the audio of a Supreme Court case.
  • Continuing our string of car troubles, Brian recently replaced the starter and resealed the oil pan in my car.
  • In a moment of serendipity, we acquired a 7-foot Christmas tree that was on the verge of being thrown away.
  • I still cannot stomach gizzards of any variety and Brian still harbors an irrational disdain for cooked carrots.
Returning to our regularly scheduled program:

We enjoyed a delightful and unusual Thanksgiving. On Thursday (the actual holiday), we deliberately shut out the rest of the world, put all our responsibilities on hold, and savored a quiet day together. Brian fixed a scrumptious breakfast feast, I cleaned out my overflowing basket of miscellaneous papers on my kitchen counter, we spent one hour organizing the closet in the scary room, and read aloud a section of Les Miserables. We also made a mountain of cranberry relish for our traditional Thanksgiving dinner which we had on Friday.

Speaking of which . . . Brian and I hosted the official day-after-Thanksgiving dinner for a number of my students and their families and some friends. About 40 people attended with representatives from Cuba, Mexico, Eritrea, Burma, Vietnam, Nepal, and Armenia. To feed the crowd, we cooked 38 pounds of turkey, 15 pounds of potatoes, 6 dozen rolls, 3 quarts of cranberry relish, a pile of stuffing, and a gallon of green beans. (Sorry, sweet potatoes. Something had to go.) To our relief, friends generously provided the pies! For after-dinner entertainment, Brian and Valerie provided guitar/violin/vocal music that enthralled everyone. Also, one of my students told about his experience as a political prisoner in Burma, which made us all extra grateful for our present circumstances. It was truly a Thanksgiving to remember.





3 comments:

MJ said...

Quite amusing. I enjoyed a good laugh. What a wonderful post!
MJ

Christine said...

Wow! I can't believe I haven't been privy to your blog in the past...it is amazing. You are as eloquent as ever!

I look forward to many more posts.

P.S. Where will the wedding be? I would love to have a good reason to escape little old Orem.

Kristen Blair said...

Okay okay okay. I've been nice. But really now. A wedding post? Something? Anything? That would make my day. Not that I don't like "A Random Cornucopia of Thanksgiving Joy," but I do believe that I've memorized it. Let's have some updates, yeah?

:)